This Strawberry Almond Layer Cake
is a great low carb treat.
When you try to lose weight or if you have to watch your sugar and carb intake because of a medical condition, it might feel like there is nothing really yummy to eat. It may seem like all sweet treats and tasty tidbits have to be avoided.
Not so with this cake.
This cake is low in carbs, made with healthy ingredients, and plant-based, not artificial sweetener.***
For the cake you need:
¾ cup unsalted Butter
1/8 cup Just Like Sugar (Brown) or your choice of sweetener*
1 cup Just Like Sugar (Table Top) or your choice of sweetener *
½ cup Milk (room temperature)
1 tsp Pure Vanilla
1 1/2 cups Almond Flour
½ cup Coconut Flour
¼ tsp Salt
2 tsp Baking Powder
For the topping you need:
1 lb Strawberries, sliced
1 pack 4 serving size sugar-free strawberry flavored gelatin****
1 cup boiling water
2 cups Greek Yogurt
1-2 tsp Just Like Sugar (Table Top) (or your preferred sweetener)
½ of 8 oz container Sugar Free Cool Whip
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Grease 9×13 inch cake pan.
In a large bowl cream:
- add Just Like Sugar (Brown). Beat until creamy.
- add eggs, one at a time. Beat in between.
- add milk and vanilla. Beat until creamy and smooth.
In another bowl combine dry ingredients:
- almond flour
- Just Like Sugar – Tabletop
- coconut flour
- baking powder
Add your dry ingredients to the batter. Mix until well-blended.
Pour batter into cakepan. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool your cake completely.
While your cake is cooling, prepare gelatin:
- Place gelatin into a medium bowl,
- add 1 cup boiling water, stir until dissolved.
- Cover and chill about 30 minutes until it begins to set. The consistency should be similar to unbeaten egg whites. (You don’t want it to get firm.)
Cut cake to fit into an 8×8 square form.**
Wash and slice strawberries
Cover the cake with sliced strawberries.
Place the leftover strawberries into a blender (about ½ cup), puree.
Whisk together Greek Yogurt, pureed Strawberries and Just Like Sugar until blended.
Add strawberry mix to your gelatin. Whisk until well blended
Fold Cool Whip into strawberry mix.
Pour strawberry mix over your cake and strawberries.
Chill until set.
*Reading about sugar and sugar substitutes I found that most artificial sweeteners, even those considered ‘natural,’ are unhealthy. However, there is good news. I found a sweetener made from Chicory Root. I recommend the plant-based sweetener, it is a much healthier choice. Read this article about Just Like Sugar for more information.
*When baking, using some sugar substitutes, it is better to add the sugar with the dry ingredients toward the end.
When you cut the cake to fit into an 8-inch pan you will have leftover cake. It is delicious as it is by itself.
You can crumble it and put it on the strawberry layer as a topping, or you can be naughty and keep nibbling (like I did).
Watch out for instructions to see how to turn leftover almond cake into a healthy snack. Coming Soon!
- With serious health conditions always follow your doctor’s and dietitian’s advice when it comes to nutrition.
- My husband has Type 2 Diabetes and rewards himself with a slice of this cake on occasion. Please note though that we monitor his blood sugar closely to make sure it stays within his doctor’s recommended range.
- I am watching my carb- and sugar intake to lose weight. I also treat myself to an occasional piece of this yummy cake and I STILL lose weight because this cake is low in carbs and has no sugar added.
- If you wish to avoid any sort of artificial sweetener, instead of using bought sugar free flavored gelatin, you can use home made gelatin. I plan to develop a recipe for a natural sugar gelatin dessert. Stay tuned!