– The Healthier Way –
Chicken “Parm” has been one of the more popular meals at our home. As much as we love it, this delicious, breaded chicken dish isn’t the healthiest of meals…
… and with diabetes and/or other health problems we HAVE to eat healthier.
How can we make this delicious dish healthier and acceptable for a Low Carb, Diabetic-Friendly diet?
- Change the “breading”.
- Use less fat for cooking.
- Use low fat cheese.
- Use a no sugar added spaghetti sauce. (Homemade if possible.)
- Instead of spaghetti we now pair this dish with spiralized zucchini “noodles”. (I will add instructions / recipe soon.)
Will it still taste good? You bet!
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 egg
- 1-2 cups almond flour
- Salt and pepper if desired.
- Cooking spray
- 8 oz Mozzarella (low-fat)
- 1/8 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- I jar spaghetti sauce
Preheat oven to 450°F.
Rinse and pat chicken dry and pound to about ½ inch thickness.
Dip chicken in beaten egg, coat well.
Roll and coat chicken in almond flour until nicely coated. Repeat this until all chicken pieces are coated. Lightly salt and pepper each piece, if so desired.
Spray frying pan with cooking oil spray. Warm pan to medium heat. Brown chicken on all sides, about 2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
Spray 13×9 pan with cooking oil spray and place chicken into pan. Place Mozzarella slices on chicken. Pour Spaghetti sauce over and around chicken. Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese.
Bake for 25 minutes or until temperature of chicken reads 165°F.