There are few things as comforting as warm, homemade soup when the temperature outside is frigid. This hearty Navy Bean Soup is not only delicious, but a great source of protein and various other nutrients.
- High protein food and can be used instead of meat
- Low in fat
- High in fiber
- Low on Glycemic Index
- Great source of vitamins and minerals
Navy Bean Soup
Crock-Pot recipe for 4-5 people
- ½ lb small white beans
- 4 cups water
- 3 cup chicken broth or bone broth
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ dried thyme
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes
- ½ fresh chopped parsley
- Sort beans and rinse thoroughly.
- Combine beans and 4 cups of water in saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour or overnight.
- Place beans with soaking water in slow cooker. Add all other ingredients, except tomatoes, kale and parsley.
- Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or on low for 10-11 hours, until beans are tender.
- Add kale, tomatoes, and parsley.
- If you choose to, you can serve this soup with brown rice, crumbled bacon, or ham cubes.