How did I get here? Why do I blog?
I feel it is of vital importance for people to know what I am about to tell you.
Everything started when we found out that my husband had diabetes.
But it is more than that.
Sitting in the doctor’s office became a turning point in our life. When my husband was given a diagnosis and handed pills, without much else, it was a shock to me on different levels.
- We were now dealing with a life-changing disease.
- My husband was given pills to bring his glucose down from sky-high 500+ to acceptable levels.
- And… here is the real shock… That was it?… “Here, take these pills.”???
I started asking questions. I couldn’t believe that this was all. There had to be more information, right? No. We were told that the nutrition classes are $ 400 and we’d be better off buying the book “Diabetes for Dummies.” Really? Really!
I had to find out…
I went to work on my own to find out more. I bought the book the doctor recommended, and I bought other books as well. I read and read and when my eyes were burning, I read more. I read countless books and magazines, joined the Diabetes Organization, spoke to my niece (a health-coach) and started to do research on the internet. I could not let this rest.
What I found out, forever changed my life and is still changing my life EVERY SINGLE DAY.
I feel like I opened a can of worms and at every turn I found a shocking, new revelation.
The Top 12 Things that have shocked me since I started researching healthier living:
- We are often handed medication to ‘fix’ a medical problem without being told that there are other, more natural things we can do to help our condition.
- Our physical and emotional health is linked our gut health – which is linked to the food we eat.
- GMO’s are bad for our health, and for our environment.
- Eating Organic (or not) impacts our health – now and in the future.
- The importance of grass fed livestock.
- Exercise is vital and even small increases in activity can make a huge difference.
- The government allows and approves the use of many more chemicals than are healthy for us.
- The products we use for our personal care are filled with chemicals that are bad for our health.
- Common household cleaners we use daily – even their scents have negative side effects! Even when we smell those “clean” scents without touching, they infiltrate our body, affect our health.
- Using the microwave is not safe.
- Wi-fi has negative health effects. Try to limit exposure.
- We should not have a cell phone near our ear when making calls.
… I could add more…
Perhaps you look at this list and wonder: How is it possible that Chris was not aware? How did she not know all of this? Perhaps you are aware, and it was just me who didn’t know.
I was not aware – at least not to the extent I am aware now.
My problem? Trust. I TRUSTED that the government would make sure that everything sold in the stores is safe for us. I trusted that if there was a danger to us, we would be told.
WHY ARE WE NOT TOLD?
Why is it possible to watch the news for 24 hours on various channels and THOSE facts that really matter to our life and our health are not discussed?
I have lost my trust.
I know today that I am responsible for my own health and I am responsible to find out what is in EVERY single thing that I put into my body, on my body, and that I surround myself with.
I can trust no more. My own health and the health of those I love is at stake.
That is why I am changing my life, one step at a time. That is why I blog. I don’t make a cent doing this but I feel the need to speak. Perhaps it can help someone – somewhere.