Variety’s the very spice of life that gives it all its flavourWilliam Cowper (1731–1800)
The same breakfast every day would get terribly boring. And nobody likes boring.
So, let’s take an old favorite and change it up.
What is important:
- Nutrition: Pack your oatmeal with nutritious ingredients to get the best possible start into your day.
- Get flavor from your healthy, tasty ingredients, not from sugar.
- Have fun and experiment.
I’ve shared the base recipe with you here:
Use the base recipe to get approximate amounts and then have fun and be creative. Let your tastebuds guide you.
This Oatmeal Bowl is all about choice. It’s about your individual taste, and creativity.
Options for Base Layer:
- Chia Seeds, soaked in your choice of milk (nut-milk, oat-milk, goat or cow’s milk)
- Flax Seeds, soaked in your choice of milk
- Oatmeal, soaked in your choice of milk, if you prefer not to cook it (my preference).
Options for Main Layer:
- Oatmeal, cooked in water, with or without salt. Cooked oats are my husband’s choice. If you choose to eat them raw you would have already added them to your milk (above).
- Before you choose your sweetener, remember that especially for diabetics, even natural, dried fruits are still high in sugar. It is important to use them sparingly and pair them with protein like chia, flax, nuts etc.
- Dried Fruit Options:
- Dates, chopped
- Figs, chopped
- Dried apricots, chopped
- Prunes, chopped
- Mashed or sliced banana
- If you wish, you could choose a little Coconut Nectar, Agave, Stevia, Just Like Sugar, honey, or pure maple syrup instead of dried fruit.
- Chopped fresh or frozen fruit options to cook with oats:
- Feel free to add cinnamon.
- Nuts are great to add at this point as well if you like.
- Your imagination is the limit.
Options for Top Layer:
- Fresh fruit of your choice
- Chopped cranberries
- Dried apples or banana chips
- Chopped nuts of your choice.
- Brazil nuts
- Coco Nibs
Garnish with a dab of coconut cream, a sprig of mint, or a sprinkle of cinnamon. If you wish, add a bit of applesauce or add a splash of milk.
It’s all about choice.
Enjoy your food — Variety is the spice of life.